By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Police dispute kidnapping rumors
Facebook user says officer told her woman arrested on Black Friday
Covington police

COVINGTON, Ga. — Social media has been abuzz with rumors of an attempted kidnapping during the busy Thanksgiving shopping weekend.

Police say it isn’t true.

“We have not had any calls or reports about potential kidnappings,” Covington police public information officer Justin Stott said.

“Also, we did not arrest anyone in the Ross parking lot for any kind of kidnapping-related offense.”

The post said the incident happened Friday, Nov. 29, outside the Ross Dress For Less store at 3157 Elm St. NE. The writer said a woman tried to get in her SUV but got away. The writer said she and her family then drove to Walmart and approached a police officer and described the incident and suspect, and the officer told her the woman had been arrested for trying to take another child.

Stott said the Police Department planned to make a public statement about the allegations later today.

A similar Facebook post caused a stir in Monroe. A woman said a woman tried to take the child out of her car. Police Chief R.V. Watts said a review of surveillance video showed the woman was approached, but it appeared to be more of a panhandling situation and the child wasn’t threatened.

An attempt to reach the woman who made the allegations in Covington was not immediately answered. She appears to have taken down the post and made her Facebook page private.

This isn’t the first time in recent weeks for police to have to shoot down rumors on social media. Last month, police said reports of people being approached at Walmart were related to a church’s activities and not kidnapping. CPD took to Facebook itself and called the church “known to police and legitimate.”

April 3 crash kills two young adults, injures third
Newton County Sheriff Car---WEB

NEWTON COUNTY — Around 10 a.m. on Thursday, a head-on collision on Highway 212 left two young adults dead and a third hospitalized.

Joe Navarro, 21, was driving the vehicle and Breanna Smith, 18, was in the passenger seat. Katie New, 20, sat between them.

According to the Newton County Sheriff’s Office, the vehicle lost control while going around a curve and crossed the centerline, where it collided head-on with a box truck. The crash report shows that their vehicle traveled another hundred feet after impact before coming to a stop. It spun, ended up facing the opposite direction on the shoulder of the opposite lane.

Navarro and Smith were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. New was airlifted to Grady Hospital. Her current condition is not known. 

Navarro, Smith and New were not believed to be wearing seatbelts when the collision occurred.

The driver of the box truck was not reported to have suffered any injuries.

This is an ongoing story. The News will post updates as they are made available.